Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mike Memories: How to Hock a Loogie

Phlegm:  A word like no other.  Six letters strung together so awkwardly that they look like a mistake.  Yet this word does exist in the dictionary.  Even if you aren’t aware of its meaning, when you attempt to pronounce the word the throat reacts with a mini-gag-reflex, kind of a tongue twister for the back of the palette.  And if you are aware of its meaning, the thought of what it defines brings a mini-gag-reflex as well.  The perfect word is one that every aspect of it, even the spelling, represents its essence.  Phlegm.

The first time I heard the word spoken I assumed it was spelled like it sounds when said carelessly – f-l-e-m, and it didn’t leave much of an impression on me.  Sure, the idea was gross.  Just like ‘snot’ or ‘turd’.  But once I saw the word on a page and said it out loud the way it was meant to be said, it just seemed like genius to me.

Growing up, my brother Mike said that phlegm was the key ingredient to hocking a good loogie.  I tried and tried to spit like him, but it always came out in an embarrassing spray that moistened (another awful and melodic word) my shirt and face. Then I’d have to use my sleeve to wipe off the evidence.  Not like his.  When Mike would spit there was practically a drum roll while he prepared a perfect glob of goo that he aimed and fired with near perfect accuracy at any target.  A lifetime of practice, and I am still unable to spit like that.

Mike used his phlegmy talents to control and terrorize us younger siblings while Mom and Dad were gone working long days.  If we got in his way or threatened to tattle, we often were subjected to the Spit Treatment.  With his size advantage, it took him merely seconds to pin me to the floor and sit on my chest.  Sometimes I would fight and squirm until I was panting like a german shepherd and covered in sweat, but it was no use.  With my arms pinned to the carpet, I would turn my head to the side as he snorted and honked, gathering a mouthful of phlegm….yes phlegm.  I’d turn my head to the side as he hovered over my face, open his lips just enough to allow a drop of goo to stretch out of his mouth.  As it got longer and closer to me I would make a squirming effort to get free, but he would suck up the spit just before the slimy ribbon broke free to land on my face.  Depending on how mad I was or how long I could stand it before giving in, the torture usually ended after a few scares like this – I would give in and scream “Okay!  Okay!  I won’t tell!”
 
At this he would temporarily suck the goo back into his mouth and swallow.  “Tell them WHAT?” he would growl in a dangerous voice and then start honking and snorting again.
 
 “That you flushed my sock down the toilet (or whatever he did this time).  I promise!”  If I was in a particularly stubborn mood and didn’t give in soon enough he would keep at it until finally one glob of throat snot would drop and splatter on my face.  He then would explode in a wicked cackle as I wiggled free and ran screaming to the bathroom to sterilize myself.  Phlegm may be an interesting word to read and say, but I didn’t want it dripping between my eyes.   Particularly if it didn’t belong to me in the first place.

Hmmmm.  I started with a single word and wound up taking a long trip, way down memory lane.  That’s the greatest thing about words.  They can take you places that are no longer available in the real world. 


            

No comments:

Post a Comment