Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Short Rant



I think there ought to be a rule that Speed Limit signs should indicate the average speed of your entire trip from Point A to Point B.  That way when some Doofus in a gigantic shiny Red Hummer who consistently drives 10 mph under the posted speed limit on the Coastal Highway on the long curvy stretch absent of passing lanes, and he apparently can’t read because there are signs posted all over the place saying “Law Requires Slow Vehicles to Pull Off and Let Others Pass” because he drives past the signs and the provided turn-outs without hesitation, you still have a chance to make up for lost time.

“Oh my gosh,” he says, “That sign says I should slow to 45 mph for the curve, so I’ll slow down to 35 mph, because those highway safety people don’t really know what they’re talking about.”

You know the guy.  He’s the one lounging with his soft, hairy arm on the driver’s windowsill, which is all you can see through the tinted window.  He lolls about on the scenic highway, pointing at the sights while he is apparently unable to see the long serpent of impatient cars gathering in his wake.

He is likely the same guy who sits at a traffic light for, like, five minutes after it turns green, because he is so involved in his phone conversation that he can’t be interrupted to allow traffic to resume to its steady march forward.

I’ll bet he’s also the guy who has his grocery cart all filled up with chips, vegetables that will never be eaten and elegantly named yet over-priced beer  and gets into the express line with five times more than the suggested limit of “items”.

Whoever he is…(I did thumb my nose and make the fanny-finger “neiner-neiner” sign at him while eventually passing him in a small town, but I don’t know who he IS)  I decided it was my right to drive a few gazillion miles over the speed limit for the next several miles in order to make up for lost time…and to make myself feel better.

I think there ought to be a rule.



AFTERTHOUGHT:  Never take rants too seriously.  This Red Hummer Guy became our entertainment for the last 200 miles of our drive today.  Kind of like Mr. Bean and his nemesis in the 3-wheeled blue car.  We blamed EVERYTHING on this driver...including the weather!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Perfect post. This made my day. And: you are right on all counts.

    ReplyDelete