Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Turtle has an Over-bite!




He didn’t used to.  Alfie the box turtle had quite a handsome, strong lower jaw.  I would compare his reptilian profile to Rock Hudson, if Mr. Hudson were a reptile.  But last night I found myself staring at the bedroom ceiling, thinking about my green little guy.  Something was different about him and I wasn’t sure what it was.
This fellow came to us a few years ago when our friends moved overseas and had to leave him behind.  I knew nothing of box turtle care but what they had told me. He is a special needs turtle and I have always had a soft spot for the under-dog. I read the little pamphlet that he came with and did my best. 
In his pre-previous home (turtles live a long time, you know) he was assaulted by a creature of the night, raccoon perhaps.  He has some missing toes, the edges of his shell are gnawed off and he has a massive crack through his shell.  As a last resort the vet experimented with super-glue, and to this day our Alfie is in one, glorious but crooked, piece.  Even his little beak is/was crooked. These injuries are the reason Alfie can’t live a normal box turtle life; he can’t burrow into soiled litter or spend too much time in wet or moist environments for fear of a parasite entering his shell.
In the years as our family member, Alf has led a healthy life eating live mealworms, peas, berries and occasionally mango.  We created a safe deck garden out of a plastic wading pool so he can enjoy the sunshine and eat strawberries straight from the vine, and we bring him in at night to keep him safe from the night creatures.  In the winter he suns himself by the windows while exploring the living room.  He also has a traditional tank with heater and light for his bedroom.  I try to keep his toenails trimmed, at least on the toes he still has. Most of all, we try to keep his life interesting, but it’s difficult to tell when a turtle is happy.  He has a perpetually grumpy face and his tail doesn’t wag.
This summer, though, he didn’t seem to be interested in his worms.  Initially he would tackle them with lightning turtle speed (you’d be surprised) and chomp down.  But later I would find the maimed or dead worm in the corner, uneaten.  I couldn’t be sure, but it seemed like I was finding more and more uneaten food in his home.  His crooked beak was quite pronounced, could that be the problem?
Last night when I put him to bed/tank, half asleep myself, I looked into his face and something was different.  Worry crept into my brain and I lost some sleep.  What was it?  His jaw….HIS JAW MUST BE BROKEN, I thought while staring at the dark ceiling.  I saw no under-beak.  He CAN’T EAT and is going to DIE.  I could not let this happen!  Maybe I could make him a liquid diet…little vegetable and bug smoothies...can a turtle sip through a straw?? My mind was spinning.
First thing this morning I plucked him out of his cave and looked at his chin.  I was RIGHT.  My turtle has a major overbite.  More than half of his chin-beak is missing.  As any modern human would do, I went straight to the internet...and HOLY CRAP! 
Did you know that turtle’s beaks grow just like their toenails?  Did you know that they should be trimmed if they get too long or cock-eyed?  How did I miss that? Apparently Alfie’s beak grew too long and just snapped off!  Now he has an uncomely over bite.  Thank goodness he is not in middle school for the endless teasing that would bring.  I am just terribly relieved that he ate his mushy peas this morning and is in good spirits.  And now I get to look forward to trimming his beak from time to time...ug.  
Long live Alfie!



No comments:

Post a Comment