Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Act Your Age?


We’ve heard it a thousand times, “Act your age!”  Adults use this phrase with children in hopes that they will abandon their tantrums or potty humor for some more dignified, mature behavior.  But what does this phrase mean for us adults?  How do we act an age?  How does age 30 act as compared to 60?
On this day, the anniversary of my birth, the celebration of adding a year to my stated age, the ceremonial passing of yet another year of life lived (and one less in front of me?), I began with walking my 13 year old Labrador on the trails.  Mid-way we met some new friends on the path.  While the dogs played, the humans chatted.  One human asked if my dog was a puppy!  This happens often, partly because my Riley has the benefit of fur to hide her laugh lines and wrinkles and being a natural blonde hides the fact that her face is white, and partly because she NEVER acts her age.  She is physically fit and young at heart.
Physically fit and young at heart.  That is how I have always seen myself…not as a number.  That part doesn’t seem to change.  One look at my face and nobody would ever accuse me of being a puppy.  My laugh lines are deep and I wear my grey streaks with pride.  I run.  I splash.  I play. I’m known for my potty humor and stupid antics.  Is that how a 48 year old acts her age?  Weeks after hitting the mid-century mark, my husband won a decent cash prize for being the Fastest Old Guy in a 50k race.  Was he acting his age?  Most of my friends are silly and crazy and like to play…are they acting their age?

Since I can’t grow fur on my wrinkles and am not interested in dying my hair, I think I’m going to retire that phrase.  I don’t think age and behavior are related.  Decades from now I plan to be running, splashing and playing, making bad jokes and maybe even throwing a tantrum or two.  Don’t tell ME to act my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment