Thursday, July 4, 2013

Time to Suck it Up and Move on


               With the annoying screech of arctic terns overhead, I woke up with dewy, soggy, unruly hair.  Looking out toward the beach I watched a seagull snatch a bright red crab the size of a hamburger patty from the shallow water.  The bird struggled with the snapping pincers until the crimson creature’s soft underside was exposed, and the feast began.  I lingered in my sleeping bag for nearly an hour, watching the geoducks (say gooey-ducks) perform a synchronized water fountain show while a heron glided silently in for a delicate landing in the shallows, and an eagle only slightly less gracefully perched on the lone piling for a good view of the passing salmon.
               I had camped out on this deck a gazillion times, but not recently.  I spent my childhood summers this way, watching and exploring the wonders of Puget Sound.  Now middle-aged, I haven’t yet grown tired of beach-combing and the joys of the smallest discoveries.
I’m still not quite sure why one of my favorite things is watching for sea lions.   Spottings are occasional at best and we can only see what emerges above water - usually a round, shiny head with a big smile (at least that is how I see it) cruising along, and then the flash of the smooth back and tail as she dives into the deep.  We may see her reappear several hundred yards away, chuckling, if we’re lucky.  Some might say it’s as exciting as watching paint dry.  I have always found the thought of such a glorious mammal enjoying its life in the wild, just yards from where I sit, to be completely exciting.
               In recent days I have shed plenty of tears in my beers over the impending loss of my childhood home.  Our Mom and Dad have grown weary of maintaining the half acre of waterfront on Commencement Bay that we have called home for many-a-decade.  It is time for my folks to relax and enjoy their golden years in a well maintained condo instead of attending to the thousand-and-one nagging chores that come with owning a large piece of property and an old, creaky, but unbelievably charming, house on the beach.
               Having just returned from a couple of days camping on the deck at that rocky beach, packing up boxes of books and things that haven’t been touched by a human hand for years, I’m coming to some sort of peace with this move that my heart has been having a hard time accepting.  At first the flood of memories felt like pain, the pain of loss.  But then I began to think about who I am now. 
               I am an observant person who won’t pass a struggling earthworm on the pavement without stopping to toss it into the cool grass.  When I hear birds making a fuss, I’m curious to find out what might be causing the panic so I stop to watch.  My running partner often becomes annoyed when our rhythmic pace slows to a stutter simply so I can check out the beaver nibblings on the pond-side trees, or to follow the bunny trail, just to see where it goes.  We have discovered an osprey’s nest by following our ears, and watched an owl family calling to each other across the creek in the middle of the day. 
With all of the reflecting on my childhood in recent weeks, compared to the life I live now, I have decided that the slightly nutty person that I am today is in large part a product of my beachside upbringing.  All of the memories of childhood that I have suddenly felt so desperate to hold onto will not be lost.  The countless memories are most definitely the building blocks of who I am.  All of us are a product of our past.  Whether you spent your childhood nurturing younger siblings or competing at a high level in sports, these experiences become part of who we are.  I learned to love nature from watching it every day from my breakfast table.  Feeding the shore crabs bologna from my sandwich at lunch and silently observing barnacles grabbing microscopic food with their feet as the tide washed over them taught me that even the tiniest things can be fascinating, and that nature is important.

It’s time to put these memories in my pocket, close to my heart, and move on.  Now I’m going to think about how I’m raising my own children.  What kind of memories are we creating together?  Will these become the building blocks of who they become as adults?  It all matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment