Monday, November 18, 2013

Toddlers in Tiaras - Teens in Uniforms


               You don’t have to have a toddler and your child doesn’t have to be wearing a tiara for you to become one of those scary “Pageant Parents.”  And the stage upon which your child performs may not be the physical platform with theatre lights and flashing cameras.  Their venue of choice may be a grass field with goal posts, a sparkling frozen rink or a court in a gymnasium .  What defines the “pageant parent” type is the behavior of the parent and their over-involvement in their child’s activity.
               Nobody ever plans to be one of “those” over-the-top rabid parents who have too much of their own personal pride riding on the backs of their children.  It can sneak up on you like weeds in the garden.  You plant a few pretty petunias and before you know it a dense forest of dandelions has taken its place. 
I am not immune, as I had a taste of this myself.  A few years ago I found myself sucked into the local ballet scene.  (Yep, ballet - a word that had not entered my vocabulary before my little girl demanded a tutu.)  It all started out reasonably enough with my learning to weave an adequate ballerina hair-bun and embarrassing my daughter with my lame attempts at pronouncing ballet terms.  Before long I found myself driving 100 miles to buy decent pointe shoes (yes that e really belongs on the end of that word, and apparently everybody who is anybody knows that the local pointe shoes were not good enough).  More and more of my conversations with other ballet moms felt like gossip, centering on the skill of the various teachers and questioning casting decisions of the director.  I even joined the fundraising board and sold my soul to a coupon company.  At the time this all seemed so important.  It wasn’t until my adolescent daughter burned out and quit dancing that I stepped back and realized how unhealthy my increasing involvement had become for both my daughter and myself.
If you find yourself more and more consumed with the status of your child’s chosen activity, maybe it is time to stand in front of a mirror and reflect upon your involvement.
1.       Do you spend more of your time and emotional energy on your child’s activity than the kid actually does?
2.      Have you raised a big stink or even considered taking some kind of official action against a coach or official because you didn’t agree with a decision?
3.      Has your child suffered a consequence, either from the coach or teammates, based on your actions/reactions?
4.      Are you finding more and more charred bridges in your wake as you sacrifice relationships of your own and your child’s, while pursuing the seemingly all-important goals you think your child deserves?
5.      Do you spend half the time on your own hobbies and interests as you do your child’s?

If any of these scenarios make you with squirm with the ugly discomfort of recognition, it may be a good time for you to take a step back.  Better yet, take two big steps back and let your child grow up and learn to advocate for him or herself.  Nobody likes a Parent-zilla, not even the child.  It’s time for you to take up knitting…or some other hobby that brings personal satisfaction – take pride and joy in your own activities.  You might be amazed at how well your child does on his/her own.  And they will be proud of you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment