Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Dog is Smarter than Your Dog


We all think our own dog is smart.  They know certain words and respond appropriately.  We expect them to drool at the word “dinner” and do the happy dance and the word “walk”.  The obedient and well-trained pups come when called.  The less obedient still understand the command, but would rather chase the squirrel so they stay just out of reach.

Yes, I know my dog, Riley, is smart.  I just didn’t realize how smart until recently!  I hadn’t given her enough credit or asked her to do tricks beyond the “sit” and “stay” realm of doggie training.  Well, after this particular walk I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more she can do.

So Riley and I, we're taking our wet morning dog walk in the woods, like usual.  I'm just strolling along, daydreaming, while Riley lags behind.  Suddenly she comes flying past me in that post-poop gallop, with the extra bounce in her step and twinkle in her eye.  So I turn around, pull out a poop bag, and start talking, more to myself than to her,  "Okay, where'd you poop?" and I backtrack 20 or so yards, scanning the edge of the trail.  "Where's the poop, pup?" I keep mumbling but see nothing in the piles of leaves.  She follows along, but stops in one spot and waits, looking happy and proud.  I walk back to her and look where she is pointing, and doggone it - there was the POOP!  Still steamin' and warm.  She's SO smart!!

Now, I’d never even thought to ask her to find her own mess before.  You bet I’ll be asking her again.  And there’s no telling what else she can do, if we would just make the right request!  (With, of course, the obvious limitations of possessing no opposing thumbs or the ability to form words…)

Yep.  My Riley is truly brilliant, if you ask me.  Or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment