Thursday, December 12, 2013

It Ain’t Rocket Science



               Recently a friend challenged me to come up with my entire parental philosophy (and philosophy of life – as those seem interchangeable) in 30 characters or less.  A quote from the late Nobel Prize winning ‘Jack of all Physics’, Richard Feynman, came to mind: “What do you care what other people think?”  Mr. Feynman was not only a brilliant Rocket Scientist, but a raucous, rebellious and fun-loving character.  He used that quote as the title of his second memoir in which he explains, among other things, how he flamboyantly demonstrated the failure of the O-rings from the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster in front of the presidential Rogers Commission using a simple glass of ice-water and pliers.  He was a different kind of thinker and not afraid to show it. The way Mr. Feynman lived his life and reflected on it inspired me from a young age.

              Therefore, if I had to define my philosophy in a few words, I would steal that quote and add one thing.  (Yes, I’m aware that I’m already over the 30 character limit by 4 measly letters, so I’m going to go for broke here.)  “What do you care what other people think…as long as you’re up to good?”  That’s only 54 letters, yet they pack a whole-lotta meaning.
               First of all, if someone is up to NO good, they should certainly be looking over their shoulder, worried about who may see, who may judge, who may call them on the trouble-making.  A pang of guilt will and should make a person suspicious of what others are thinking.  That cloud of remorse around one’s head can make the world seem a darker place.
However, if you are up to good in your life then you should not be concerned about who is watching, whether observers approve or even if they want to pick a beef with you.  Because you are doing good things in the world and the judgers can go and gossip or stress-out about it all they want.  Not your problem.  At all.
               I believe that your only job is to live life with integrity.  Consciously choose the path that will leave you with a sense of pride in your heart at the end of the day.  Making gobs of money to buy trivial things will not soothe the soul or bring happiness.   Fashion and trends may be impressive to some, but have nothing to do with the good feelings that come from helping others, conserving resources or generally making the world a pleasant place. 
               How do we better ourselves and the world?  Make conscious choices.  Spread smiles any way you can.  Talk to the retired couple walking their dog – make friends.  Slow
down and help the guy in the electric cart at the grocery store to reach the frozen vegetables on the top shelf, rather than grumbling to yourself that he’s in the way.  Be silly.  Find joy and the joy will become contagious.
               Speaking as a self-admitted social dork with a reasonably good heart, I don’t worry about the judgment of others.  Because if I did, I would be living in a constant state of geek paranoia.   I love the quote from FDR presidential advisor Bernard Baruch, “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”  Although these words were originally referring to seating arrangements at the dinner table, it is oozing with greater meaning in life.  To me it means that if someone will avoid me because I’m a harmless goofball, then they have my blessing to take a wide berth!
               Well, this turned out to be a really long explanation of a phrase that was supposed to stay under 30 characters.  Mary - I know I exceeded the limit, but I was able to keep it to 670 words!?  Even though my parental philosophy/philosophy of life stretched out to be ridiculously verbose, it’s certainly not rocket science.
               What would you boil your philosophy down to?  (In 30-50 or so characters, please!)


P.S.  This 30 character game apparently sprang from Mary’s son’s request for a meaningful quote from his Mom to have inscribed on his graduation ring.  Awesome.   I guess my kids should shop for a much larger piece of jewelry to commemorate their own graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment