Monday, February 2, 2015

Making Connections


We have a delightful fellow in our community named Larry.  This diminutive, silver-haired fellow walks the trails and takes the bus downtown to visit the YMCA.  You’ll know it is him immediately because he is likely to blurt out, “Hey!  I know YOU!” which may or may not be true.  Lucky for me I have met him before and I can say, “Hi Larry!  I remember meeting you on the trail!” and shake his frail hand while exchanging brief small talk.  If he is not sure he might say, “I know you!  You are my mother,” or some other confusing relation.  Once you introduce yourself you will forever be recognized and greeted by our friend, Larry.

Although Larry’s behavior is not typical and makes some people uncomfortable, I don’t think it is all that strange, either.  Every day when I walk my dog, run the trails or even grocery shop, I strike up conversations with strangers.  Just this morning I chatted with three different sets of folks that I had never met, mostly about their dogs.  After a short exchange and a scrub behind the ears (for the dog, of course) we parted with a jovial, “Have a great day!” and I carried the glow of making a connection throughout the day. Next time I see them in the park I can wave and greet the pooch by name.  This is a nice reminder that we live in a community.

Of course there are the  people we encounter who have music plugged firmly into their ear-holes and can’t hear our greetings.  You can usually tell them even before you see the wires trailing down their necks by the blank, absent stare in their eyes.  Most of the time I’ll try to make eye contact and say a quick hello, but the zombie, straight-ahead stare tells all and they pass without a nod or a wave.

The other day I’m pretty sure I saw a woman with earphones actually drooling, mouth half open as if she were involved in some unmentionable private matter.  Eyes somewhat glazed over and fixed on some point in the distance, she jogged along on the same trail as my dog and myself, but in a completely different world than the one we inhabited.   I do realize, though, that listening to music is what gets some folks out the door to exercise, so I try not to judge.

Personally, I enjoy making connections along the way.  A little laugh or the shared spotting of wildlife makes me feel part of something bigger. Even if I don’t know the person’s name, political affiliations or even which team they root for, I’ve made a teeny connection.  Through the coincidence of time and place, we are out there sharing a common experience.


The next time you leave your front door, don’t forget to hold your head up and make eye-contact.  Look up from your phone in the grocery line and make faces at the baby in the cart in front of you.  Save the texts for later so you can exchange baby stories with his Mama.  And when you see a friendly little guy on the trail or downtown and he says, “Hey!  I know you!” you can smile and say, “You must be Larry.  Pleased to meet you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment